Health Issues behind weight gain
Weight gain is commonly attributed to food intake. Yes, it is a fact that food can be the most common reason for weight to shoot up. But, is not the ultimate truth in all cases. The reason and a consideration why one would have a sudden increase in weight despite of the tremendous effort being exerted on dieting and exercise.
This would be attributed to some underlying health conditions or diseases. There are common health conditions and diseases which are believed to be the reason and culprit of the unceasingly obvious weight gain.
The following are the most common health conditions:
- food sensitivity
- Cushing’s syndrome
- post partum
- organ disease
- prescription drug use
- blood sugar imbalance
- essential fatty acid deficiency
Let us discuss each of the following stated health condition for a thorough understanding and knowledge of these:
- Hypothyroidism is an underlying factor in weight gain wherein the bodies insufficiently produce the hormone thyroid by the thyroid gland.
- Thyroid hormone regulates the metabolism in both animals and humans. A deficiency of such hormone in the body would result to slowing down of body’s metabolism. Though a loss in appetite is being experienced by a person, but ironic to it would still be the significant increase in body weight. Weight gain is brought about by fat deposits associated with fluid retention caused by protein deposits in the body that would in return increase weight of a person.
- The most common signs and symptoms experienced by a person with hypothyroidism are the ff:
- lethargy or sleepiness
- swelling of the face or around the eyes
- dry skin
- course skin
- decreased sweating
- poor memory
- slow speech
- hoarse voice
- intolerance to cold
- Food sensitivity
The most common notion and perception for food sensitivity would be allergic reactions following specific food intake. Food allergies do not just cause one to feel itchy and see remarkable physical allergic appearance. One of the effects that food sensitivity would cause would be weight gain. The effect of the allergen taken into the body may not be immediate. The reaction to which may take several minutes or even hours. An overt symptom would right away follow as manifested by swelling and bulging of the body. Weight gain may be observed right after the allergic attack.
The following are the signs and symptoms being experienced from food sensitivity:
- joint pain
- canker sore
- chronic respiratory symptom
- Prescription Drugs
Research has shown that people who use prescription medicines everyday gain large amount of weight. Furthermore, research proved that prescription drugs increase the appetite of a person. In this case, possibility of weight gain is really to be considered.
Another prescription drugs which can cause weight gain and increase in appetite would be oral contraceptives in women. Oral contraceptives would cause fluid to be retained in the body, thus bloating and increase in weight can be observed.
- Essential Fatty Acid Deficiency
Deficiency in fatty acids in the body would trigger one to crave for fatty foods. Since, the human body needs essential fatty acids for metabolic functions, insufficiency of which will cause the body to compensate. The most common signs and symptoms of a person with essential fatty acids deficiency would be the following:
- dry hair
- dry and scaly skin
- mouth ulcers
- increased susceptibility to infection
- poor wound healing
Essential Fatty Acid Deficiency may be associated as well with the following health conditions:
- heart disease
- premenstrual syndrome
- Cushing’s syndrome
Cortisol is an important hormone in the body that is being produced by the adrenal glands. Cushing’s syndrome is developed due to an overproduction of cortisol a hormone in the adrenal gland. This known health condition causes weight gain to a person very quickly. Fluid retention in the tissues of the body causes this substantial weight gain of a person.
People who are suffering from this kind of condition would have the definite characteristic of a ‘moon shaped face’.
The following are the definitive signs and symptoms found in the person with Cushing’s syndrome:
- buffalo hump on the neck or shoulders
- arms and legs are often not proportion
- spots on the face chest or shoulder
- back pain
- skin darkening on the neck
- skin becomes thinner and easily bruised
- bruises and scratches as well as insect bites take time to heal
- reddish-purple stretch marks found in the abdomen, buttocks, arms, legs or breast
- in women, menstrual period becomes irregular
- frequent urination
- feeling of thirst
- poor libido or lack of sexual appetite
- some psychological problems
In this case, a person who has Cushing’s syndrome should consult a professional doctor and ask for a collaborative support and treatment.
1 Pound Of Fat = 3,500 Calories
1 Pound Of Fat = 3,500 Calories There are 3,500 calories in one pound ofRead More
Not All Carbs Are Bad! Learn the Difference Between Good and Bad Carbs
Not All Carbs Are Bad! Learn the Difference Between Good and Bad Carbs No carbohydratesRead More